Aspinwall is a borough on the Allegheny River in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, United States, and is part of the Pittsburgh Metro Area. It is essentially a residential place. The population was 2,801 at the 2010 census.
In the mid-1880s, the area which is now Aspinwall was primarily owned by the descendants of James Ross, but as the steel industry was thriving in Pittsburgh, Henry Warner, superintendent of the Allegheny County Workhouse, had the idea of creating a residential community along the bank of a river.
Warner traveled to New York to discuss the idea with Annie Aspinwall. He purchased 155 acres of land from her and formed the Aspinwall Land Company in 1890. Pittsburghers, mostly from the upper-middle class, purchased lots from the 60 available home sites. By 1890, the town had 400 residents, most of whom were young couples with children. Aspinwall was officially incorporated as a borough on December 28, 1892.
Aspinwall was served by Pittsburgh Railways streetcar service 94 Aspinwall from 1910 until November 12, 1960, when the service was discontinued on the closure of the 62nd Street Sharpsburg Bridge. This was replaced by the Senator Robert D. Fleming Bridge which did not have streetcar tracks.
FOR THE MOST UP TO DATE INFORMATION
Current Aspinwall News
Aspinwall Council Regular Meeting via Zoom
If you’d like to listen in…
Webinar ID: 839 3267 6825